AC Milan played their final game of the season at the San Siro against Cagliari and put on a telling performance. The story is the revival of a season so nearly lost to finish in the Europa League places for a third year in a year after a tumultuous couple of years under Berlusconi, Yonghong and now Singer. Milan cruised to a 3-0 victory where Samu Castillejo stood out on his return to the starting XI after an injury as he scored a goal and nabbed an assist.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored his 10th league goal and 11th overall capping off an impressive six months. Rafael Leao left Milan fans dreaming of his potential after a number of displays of individual brilliance where he forced an own goal and then almost scored a worldie with an overhead kick that rattled the crossbar. Youngsters Maldini and Brescianini got a run out for about 25 minutes and held up.
Sadly, Giacomo Bonaventura may have featured for the club for the last time. The veteran midfielder who has spent six years at the club worked tirelessly to contribute and got an assist in the game but deserved a better send off. He took a moment at the end of the game indicating he will likely not return but he will be remembered fondly as a humble servant of the club.
AC Milan and Italian Football Links
- La Scala expects Elliot to sell the club in the near future. [AC Milan Offside]
- Andrea Conti undergoes minor surgery, to return next season. [AC Milan Offside]
- Milan vs Cagliari: H2H, Players to Watch and Predictions. [AC Milan Offside]
- Milan centre back Gabbia watched by Crotone and Parma this summer. [AC Milan Offside]
- Milan consider using Rodriguez to sign Hertha Berlin midfielder. [AC Milan Offside]