Hakan Calhanoglu put on a show for Milan in their opening game under new manager Stefano Pioli. The midfielder scored a spectacular volley before assisting Piatek and demonstrated his worth in a big way for the club going forward. He's effort was not enough for Milan to seal the deal as they fell to a late equaliser in additional time to leave a bitter taste in the mouth of Milan fans despite an improved performance.
The game was rather nostalgic as there were numerous parallels between today's 2-2 draw and the opening game for Gennaro Gattuso two seasons ago. Gattuso drew 2-2 with newly promoted Benevnto similar to Lecce and conceded the equaliser in the last minute. There was a big jolt of confidence in the team and some swagger to their play however a need to be more focused to ensure points are not lost again.
AC Milan and Italian Football Links
- AC Milan women win four in four. [AC Milan Offside]
- Mattia Caldara plays hsi first competitive match in 6 months. [AC Milan Offside]
- Inter Milan beat Sassuolo 4-3 as Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez snag braces. [Sky Italia]
- Parma crush Genoa 5-1 as Cornelius get a hat-trick. [Football Italia]
- AS Roma drop points again against last placed Sampdoria. [Calcio Mercato]
World Football Links
- Wayne Rooney ends MLS career with DC United in a huge defeat to Toronto FC. [BBC]
- Liverpool get lucky with late goal to draw at Manchester United. [The Guardian]
- Marseille end their slump while Monaco are saved by Wissam ben Yedder. [Super Sport]
- Schalke 04 shocked by Hoffenheim in 2-0. [Spiegel]
- La Liga round up as Real Sociedad and Sevilla rise. [Bleacher Report]