Reports have emerged from Planeta Milan via Sempre Milan that a member of the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) has revealed the desire to purchase a Serie A club. The reports cite journalist Maurizio Pistocchi who claims the Qatari owner of Al Rayyan SC is looking to purchase an Italian club that wear 'red.’ This may sound vague however it corroborates reports that emerged in April from Calcio e Finanza that discussed the possibility of the Qatar Investment Authority purchasing either AC Milan or AS Roma. Both Roma and Milan have had issues with UEFA's Financial Fair Play in recent years and are both owned by Americans. The clubs have both struggled to win any competitions in the past decade and have fallen from grace.
Clamoroso @MastriversusU : Sheik Amad Bin Alì Al Thani, membro del Qatar Investment Found proprietario dell’Al-Rayyan Sc “Spero molto presto di acquistare un club italiano: mi piacciono con la maglia rossa”Nella foto l’Al-Rayyan Sc pic.twitter.com/X5Y4OMJXGg— Maurizio Pistocchi (@pisto_gol) October 14, 2019
The QIA is Qatar's sovereign wealth fund and focus on long-term strategic investments. QIA has been a major investor in football through its subsidiaries such as Qatar Sports Investments who own Paris Saint-Germain and networks such as beIN Sports. Interestingly, QIA would be taking over Milan when their contract with long-term sponsor Fly Emirates would be ending at the end of the season. According to Arabian Business the political tension between the UAE and Qatar led to the replacement of Fly Emirates by Accor as the shirt sponsor for PSG. The acquisition of Milan could be a big investment for Qatar and a significant step to pull one over their direct competitors in the UAE who own Manchester City.
AC Milan and Italian Football Links
- Milan reportedly pursuing Barcelona's Ivan Rakitic in January. [AC Milan Offside]
- Milan have sent scouts to monitor Rennes midfielder Camavinga. [AC Milan Offside]
- Ismael Bennacer grabs an assist as Algeria wreck Colombia 3-0. [La Republica]
- Alessio Romagnoli scores his first ever goal for Italy in Liechtenstein rout. [Sky Italia]
- PSG are rumoured to have their eyes on Lucas Paqueta. [Calcio Mercato]
World Football Links
- Spain save face with late goal to draw with Sweden and qualify for Euro 2020. [Sky Sports]
- UEFA President comments on racism during Bulgaria vs England. [BBC]
- Switzerland beat Republic of Ireland 2-0/ [The Guardian]
- A look at the completed group for the African Cup of Nations 2021 qualifiers. [Pindula]
- North Korea and South Korea stuck in a 0-0 stalemate in an empty stadium. [Super Sport]