20 years ago, one of the all time greatest goals happened, and it was scored by 1995 FIFA World Player of the Year, and AC Milan player, George Weah.
- AC Milan were up 2-1 against Hellas Verona with less than 10 minutes to go.
- Verona had possession with a corner kick
- Corner was taken, the ball sails into the box
- The corner kick is poor, and lands at Meah’s feet
- Who then sets off on a run out of the box, sprinting out with ball under his control
- Weah makes it to the halfway line without being troubled by an opponent
- Eventually two defenders try to take him on, it fails
- He manages to maintain possession of the ball, and off he goes again
- Weah increases speed, heading for the goal
- Bang! He’s smacked the ball past the goalkeeper and scores!
Just look at the footage of it below, it’s a beautiful thing, isn’t it? Put your headphones on or turn your speakers up, and listen to the enthusiasm of commentator Tiziano Crudeli, who is also a lifelong Milan fan.
George won several accolades throughout his career, it wasn’t just the FIFA World Player of the Year title.
His individual accolades include:
- AC Milan Hall of Fame - inducted 2013
- 3 x African Football Player of the Year
- 4 x inclusion the FIFA XI
- 1990-91 French Division 1 Foreign Player of the Year
- UEFA Champions League Top Scorer 1994-95
- BBC African Footballer of the Year 1995
- Onze d’Or 1995
- Ballon d’Or 1995
- ESM Team of the Year (European Sports Media)
- FIFA Fair Play Award 1996
- FIFA World Player of the Year - Silver Award 1996
- IFFHS African Player of the Century
- Listed in 1999 World Soccer’s 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
- Listed in FIFA 100 - 2004
- Arthur Ashe Courage Award 2004
- Golden Foot Legends Award 2005
George was fundamental in Milan winning the Serie A title in 1995-96 and 1998-99 and scored 46 goals in 114 appearances for the club, with this goal arguably being his best ever.