clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Report: Berlusconi Okays Milan Sale

New, comment

Multiple news outlets from around Italy are reporting that Silvio Berlusconi has given his approval to sell Milan, with an official announcement to come next week.

Pier Marco Tacca/Getty Images

According to various reports emanating from the peninsula, the sale of Milan has been rubber stamped by Silvio Berlusconi and an official announcement regarding the club's sale will come sometime next week. La Repubblica is reporting that the Chinese consortium will acquire 80% of Milan initially, with the remaining 20% to be purchased over the course of the next three years. La Repubblica is also reporting that during the 3 year transition period Silvio Berlusconi and Adriano Galliani will remain in their current capacities as President and sporting CEO, and Nicholas Gancikoff will be installed as the CEO of the commercial side of the Rossoneri.

La Repubblica went on to identify Robin Li and the Evergrande group as being part of the consortium who are set to purchase the club for a figure of  €750 million. It is also reported that Berlusconi, Galliani, and the Chinese consortium have all agreed to install Vincenzo Montella as manager.

Italian news agency Il Sole 24 Ore has also reported that Berlusconi has agreed to the sale, and that the final signatures will take place sometime in the middle of next week.

It appears that these reports have some real validity, as later this afternoon Berlusconi was quoted as saying "I am very sorry to sell Milan, but I cannot go forward anymore".

News of the impending sale will be music to the ears of most Milanisti as a change in ownership could be the turning point needed to vault Milan back into their rightful position as one of the elite clubs in world football.   It appears as though next week could finally be the end of one of the most long and drawn out sagas in calcio.