clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Milan Struggling With Early Transfer Pursuits

New, comments

Kondogbia has joined Inter and Jackson Martinez looks less likely to join Milan. Is this going to be another typical Milan summer?

Milan lost out on Geoffrey Kondogbia, who signed with Inter instead.
Milan lost out on Geoffrey Kondogbia, who signed with Inter instead.
Clive Mason/Getty Images

The influx of cash from Bee Taechaubol has not been enough to stop Milan's transfer woes in the early running.

Last week, Milan appeared ready to trigger the €35 million release clause for Porto striker Jackson Martinez and to seal a move for Monaco's Geoffrey Kondogbia. One of those moves is looking less likely now, while the other is dead.

Milan Channel reported Sunday the club has ended its pursuit of Martinez, who is now likely to join Atletico Madrid. Meanwhile, Kondogbia has sealed a move to the San Siro, but to play with Inter, not Milan.

A medical appears to be the cause of the issue for Milan with Martinez. The club would not complete the deal without the Colombian taking a medical, but he is currently in Chile with the Colombia national team for Copa America. Atletico Madrid is reportedly willing to complete the move without a medical.

Milan has had deals fall through due to medicals in the past. In 2009, a move for then-Porto defender Aly Cissokho fell apart after he failed a medical.

Despite the news from Milan Channel, there is still hope of Martinez joining Milan, as the 28 year old has yet to confirm a move anywhere. Martinez said Milan and Atletico are both options and that things should be clearer next week.

A move for Kndogbia is indeed dead. He is officially an Inter Milan player.

The Nerazzurri made him the third-most-expensive signing in club history at €40 million. Kondogbia said Roberto Mancini persuaded him to join Inter over Milan.

"I don't think you can turn down a club like Inter," Kondogbia told Inter Channel.

Milan does appear to have a back-up plan to Kondogbia. According to talkSPORT, the Rossoneri could make a move for Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Blaise Matuidi. The 27-year-old French international is represented by Mino Raiola, which could bode well for Milan.

The club needs to make at least one big-time move soon. After several years of rummaging through the bargain bins and trying to get by with loan deal after questionable loan deal, the Rossoneri looked ready to spend the money needed to get the club back to the top of Serie A by going after Martinez and Kondogbia. They missed on Kondogbia. They need to go on the offensive to land Martinez.

Martinez and Matuidi would be a big boost to Siniša Mihajlović's squad as he enters his first year with Milan. They would be a nice gift from Taechaubol, and a sign from Adriano Galliani indicating the club is committed to improving.

It is only June, so time will tell, but Milan cannot afford to drop the ball this transfer window.

UPDATE: Shortly after this story was published, Jackson Martinez's agent Luiz Henrique Pompeo announced his client agreed to join Atletico Madrid on a four-year deal.

"We thank Milan and especially Adriano Galliani, who did everything possible to take him to the Rossoneri," Pompeo told Calciomercato.com. "The lad preferred to say yes to Atletico Madrid for the project they built around him."

Atletico will trigger Martinez's release clause, paying no more than Milan would have for the Colombian striker.